The JMG Photographic Archive comprises a multitude of thematic categories pertaining to Jewish life in Greece from the early beginnings of the art of photography until our days. One of the recent acquisitions was this photograph depicting the exterior of the Kahal Kadosh Yashan of Ioannina. This present building of the Old Holy Congregation, the sole synagogue of Ioannina that survived WWII, was constructed in the late 1820’s. The large, double-arched windows in the projecting alcove of the façade shed light on the Bimah, the elevated reader’s desk, which is a wooden construction on the inner side of the alcove.
© The Jewish Museum of Greece