Up to the 16th century, Corfu boasted an important Jewish Community, with two main synagogues – the Romaniote and the Italian (Apulian) one. During the 19th century, the Jews of Corfu excelled in the arts of printing and bookbinding.
When, in 1943, Germans replaced the Italian Occupation Forces, they caused extensive damages to the synagogues and cemeteries of the community. On June 8, 1944, an order was issued for all Jews to stay indoors. About two hundred people managed to escape, but the rest were captured by the Germans and sent to Auschwitz; their properties were looted. Of the approximately 2000 members of the community, only 187 survived the Holocaust.
Gradually the community managed to rebuild itself. One of the synagogues was restored and a new cemetery was bought. Today the community has 65 members.